Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Sawasdee Thai

On a long, long, long ago night, my boyfriend and I had a food coma inducing meal at Sawasdee Thai. This family owned restaurant is found on Main street and has been cookin' up authentic Thai dishes since 1986. Today, the restaurant interior gives off a modern, yet homey feel with a touch of Thai decor.



The first thing that we ordered was picked out by my boyfriend, the Hor Mok Gai Ma Praw Onn ($14.95). This dish is a red coconut milk curry with deep fried chicken breast and young coconut meat. The presentation was spot on while the curry itself was appetizing and creamy. I'm not usually very crazy about curries but this was tasty enough that I would even personally order this again.


Next, we went with the Po Tuen ($13.95) to share between the two of us. This seafood dish consisted of prawns, squid, fish and clam sauteed with veggies in a spicy sauce. While the seafood itself, especially the pieces of fish, did not hold any flavours on its own, the sauce made up for it as it was mild and savoury.


As for myself, I had to choose the Pad Thai and I went with the Tamarind Sauce ($11.95) version. For those who are used to a more red coloured dish, which usually means that the sauce is ketchup based, I HIGHLY recommend choosing the traditional tamarind sauce, if ever given the choice. I loved this dish, not only for tasting authentic but because it was such a generous portion compared to most places! Also, a squeeze of lemon goes a long way with bringing out the flavours of the dish.

With just the two of us, the dishes we ordered were more than enough and we were completely stuffed by the end of the meal. It was a fantastic dinner at Sawasdee Thai and I will definitely be returning when I'm in need of a pad thai fix.

Sawasdee Thai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment