Monday, August 20, 2012

Meok Ja Gol

Meok Ja Gol (MJG) is a rather hard to spot Korean restaurant near Metrotown. This place has undergone a change of name and menu, and is now known as Jang-ter Korean Barbeque and/or MJG. When I visited the restaurant with my boyfriend at around 3PM, the restaurant was literally empty besides one single other patron. We probably should have taken that as a sign.



I ordered the Bibim Nengmyun, which came with pickled white carrot slices, a few slices of pear and half a boiled egg. The noodles were extremely hard to separate and mix because it came to the table stuck together in a big clump. The sauce tasted alright but there wasn't enough to coat all the noodles evenly. Overall, the dish was refreshing and not too spicy but I would only give it an average rating.

The Bulgogi and Denjang Chigae Combo was ordered by my boyfriend and it came with a bowl of rice.


My boyfriend noticed a strong use of sesame oil in the bulgogi dish, which I didn't mind. The meat itself was quite dry because it was somewhat overcooked. However, it was marinated well and had a lot of flavour so as a whole, it was still good.


The soup came with small bits of clam and meat, zucchini, kimchi, tofu and other veggies. It tasted pretty good but it was too salty without rice.


The banchans were not very good overall. After one try of the kimchi, we did not touch it for the rest of the meal because it had a bitter taste to it. The sweet potato was very mushy and would break apart when we would try to pick it up with our chopsticks. The pickled radish didn't taste good and I dislike cucumbers so I avoided that side dish. The only okay tasting banchan was the beansprouts.

I've read on other blogs about the unique barbecuing experience at this restaurant so I might consider coming back to try that (if it is still available) but I won't be in a hurry to return anytime soon. I should also mention that during our meal, no other customers arrived at the restaurant and it was only until we were leaving that one single customer walked in. Based on our average food from this visit, Meok Ja Gol isn't a restaurant I would highly recommend.

MJG Jangter Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment