Thursday, May 08, 2014

Seok Gi Si Dae

Seok Gi Si Dae is a family run Korean restaurant in Burquitlam that I've been wanting to visit for a while now after reading reviews on the place about the atypical barbecue experience here. The restaurant is split into two rooms, one with a few tables and chairs while the bigger, adjoining room has floor tables where you're sitting on the ground. The two meats that you can choose from for barbecuing include Kimchi Porkbelly ($15.95/person) or Boneless Beef Rib ($20.97/person). Both options come with egg soup, miso soup and a choice of steamed or kimchi-fried rice. For my group of friends and I, we decided to go with just porkbelly.







Here we have some banchan, raw garlic and hot pepper slices and two dipping sauces, ssamjang on top and gireumjang on the bottom. We were also given a basket of Korean lettuce for making wraps.


The Miso Soup was quite salty while the Egg Soup (not pictured) was mild in contrast.


After we finished grilling the meats, our server came with a huge thing of rice mixed with kimchi and helped us with frying it. Essentially, he just left the rice on the grill for some time as pictured above to allow it to turn crispy, then came with a scrapper to scrap and roll everything to one end of the grill. I'm usually impartial to purposely scorched rice (even in bimbibap) but I really liked it this time as the scorched bits were the best part of the fried rice and strangely sweet in taste.

All in all, I enjoyed my meal here as it was a unique experience from other barbecue restaurants that I've been to in the past, such as Cho Sun. I would highly recommend it to any samgyupsal enthusiasts for sure.

Seok Gi Si Dae on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment