Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Mui Ngo Gai

After seeing the good ratings on Urbanspoon, my boyfriend and I went to Mui Ngo Gai for an impromptu meal. What makes this place different are the many specialty dishes on the menu that are identified specifically by where they originate from in Vietnam.


My boyfriend had the Pho ($5.95) and chose his own toppings of beef brisket and tripe. The soup was a bit salty but still a satisfactory bowl of beef noodles nonetheless.


He also ordered a drink, the Che Dac Biet ($3.25), which is a special three bean pudding.


For myself, I had the Bun Bo Hue ($6.75). The meat included sliced beef shank, pork balls, Vietnamese ham, seasoned pork roll and cooked pork blood. Out of all the places that I have tried bon bo hue at, this was by far the worst. The soup was bland and was missing the tangy taste that is usually characteristic to bun bo hue. Not recommended.

 On another occasion, we decided to returned for a late night dinner.


On the left, we have the Hu Tiu Sate ($6.75), which is described as a rice noodle dish with beef satay, roasted peanuts, lemon grass, ground dried shrimp and served with a plate of bean sprouts. Both my boyfriend and I tried this for the first time and thought that it was good with the bit of spiciness to it but the flavours were somewhat muted.

On the right is the Hu Tiu Dac Biet ($6.75), a noodle bowl consisting of fish ball, prawn, squid, artificial crab and seasoned pork roll. The soup broth is optional. This dish is like a less salty version of instant mi goreng.

All in all, I wasn't blown away by anything I tried during these two visits but Mui Ngo Gai is a decent option to consider for a late night meal.

Mui Ngo Gai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment